[Mgs] Ignition Switch

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 03:38:50 MST 2012

It sounds like infant mortality.  I can understand a dodgy connection
preventing it engaging the starter on the restart, but it would need at
least two external faults to subsequently engage the starter when the key
was removed as well.  However an internal malfunction could cause any number
of interactions, which could be permanent or intermittent.

The switch and the lock are separate items, so it depends why you replaced
the two i.e. if the old switch is still functioning you could use it
dangling on the wires and still go for your ride.  If not, then it should
just be a matter of joining brown to white for ignition, and touching
white/red to those to crank.

I can sympathise with your desire to drive the car, half-way through
restoring mine after stripping and welding but before paint I just had to
drive it up the road and back even though it had no lights, chrome or
interior - I taped the dual oil/temp gauge to the steering column and sat on
the floor hanging onto the wheel so I could reach the pedals.