[Mgs] Painting inside a chassis

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 02:04:20 MST 2012

Some do it annually.  I did mine once then for the next 10 years or so get a
good hot day and it would still drip - and that's in the UK.  Under those
conditions it is certainly 'creeping'.  It won't creep in cool conditions
and shouldn't be applied in them.  Standing the can in hot water may well
liquidise what is in there, but as soon as it starts going through the hose
to the spray attachment it cools and thickens again, so it needs to be
applied in hot weather.  Adding white spirit to thin it down helps.  The
application kit also isn't that good, especially the cavity 'wand' (a nail
pushed into the end of a plastic tube for heavens sake), a proper pressure
spray gun should be used.  As far as an MGB goes about the one place where
Waxoyl is positively harmful is the sills behind the front and rear wing
cover panels.  There is a very narrow vertical gap there, and Waxoyl will
bridge it trapping moisture in an unprotected area.  This is why replaced
front and rear wing cover panels often rust through faster than the
originals - I've had to replace five out of the eight that came to me
already done.  In those areas I squirt new engine oil down the gaps, then
distribute it with a piece of thin card.  Time will tell.  Old-hand
mechanics used to paint your chassis and underbody with your old engine oil
if you asked them.  Some say it is full of acids that will eat your chassis
away, but forget it has just come out of your engine and soft-metal bearings