[Mgs] Painting inside a chassis

Barrie Robinson barrie at look.ca
Wed Jan 4 07:21:42 MST 2012

Eric,

You get what you pay for !!!   Better and cheaper than Rustoleum is
good old fashioned engine oil !!!  It will last a coon's age.  In the
UK I used to use Dinitrol - a legendary rust preventative.  So when I
did started messing with restoring here in Canada I naturally tried
to get some.  But guess what?  The manufacturer outlet in Toronto
said they did not carry the formula used for motor cars - they only
supplied to the aircraft industry.  However, they said if I bought a
case (24 aerosol cans) they would get it for me.  So I used 12 cans
on the MGB and will use the other 12 cans on the Aston.  All the
tests against Krone, Zeibart, etc etc showed Dinitrol FAR superior -
sometimes as much as 10 times longer lasting.  The reason why it is
not sold in NA?  Because it is expensive and NAicans only want cheap
no-need-to-last stuff.    My suggestion is that after painting (or
better still powder coating) is that you take it to one of those oil
spraying places and they will blast stuff in far better than you will
be able to do with an asthmatic Eastwood wand.   Despite using
Dinitrol in all the nooks and crannies I drove my MGB to one of those
places and it was only $25 to squirt into the chassis rails & such -
places where I could not reach with the spray cans.  All you have to
do is drive your bare chassis there after painting :-).   The
advantage of their stuff is that it creeps - and that is what you want.

By the way POR 15 is awesome but if you have rust inside or even oil
the stuff may not cover it - as a paint it does not creep !!!!