[Mgs] Charging Problems

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Aug 30 01:56:24 MDT 2012

The electro-mechanical regulator is rather temperature dependant.  The MGB
Workshop Manual quotes 14.3 to 14.9v at 40C/104F, but 14.9 to 15.5v at
10C/50F.  16v *is* too high (for an MGB at any rate), but 14v is too low,
adjust it to that at low temperatures and it will be under-charging at
higher temps.  The electronic alternator regulator is quoted at 14.3 to
14.7, but the lower end of that can be too low, at one point Mercedes were
having to select regulators at the higher end of the range as the lower end
was causing premature battery failure on cars not used daily.