[Mgs] Just a "click" when starting

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Aug 14 02:16:11 MDT 2012

A 'substantial' click is probably the solenoid operating, but either failing
to power the motor or the motor is failing to turn the engine.  If the
ignition warning light barely dims with the click, then it is probably for
former.  If it dims greatly, then the latter,  possibly because of bad
connections at the battery, battery earth to body, or engine/gearbox earth
to body, although these often cause the solenoid to chatter as well.

'Hi torque' starters - there are two kinds advertised.  One claimed to be so
but is a conventional ungeared starter, and geared starters.  Only the
latter give the benefits of significantly lower cranking current and higher
cranking speed, albeit at significant extra cost.  The other ones are just
more expensive without having much more 'bang for the buck'.  Geared
starters usually have the *solenoid* in line with the pinion and the motor
to one side, with the motor slightly smaller than the solenoid, as opposed
to the conventional very large motor (in comparison to the solenoid) motor
in line with the pinion.