[Mgs] Coil for 1980 MGB (was intermittent miss)

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Aug 1 05:28:36 MDT 2012

I think what Richard is trying to say is that the coil and the ballast
resistance must be carrying a current for you to see the 6v you expect.  Of
the two wires on the coil +ve one should come from the ignition source via
the ballast resistance, and the other one should come from the bypass
contact on the solenoid, both white/light-green.  There should be a third,
white wire on that terminal which goes to the CEI amplifier, and two
white/black wires on the coil -ve.  One of these comes from the CEI
amplifier and the other goes to the tach.

Because the CEI system is variable dwell you may not get a current flowing
with the ignition on but the engine stopped.  To measure the voltage and
check that you do have a ballast resistance in circuit and the correct
resistance coil, remove the white/black from the CEI unit that goes to the
coil -ve, and connect an earth to the coil -ve instead.  With the ignition
on measure the coil +ve wrt earth and you should see 6v.  If you see 12v
there is no ballast in circuit, or the coil is open circuit or not earthed
properly.  If you see anything else, like 8v, you will have to measure the
individual coil and ballast resistance with the ignition off and the wires
disconnected to see where the problem lies (8v is typically caused by trying
to use a 12v coil, which measure 3 ohms, in series with a ballast).