[Mgs] valve adjustment

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 06:51:11 MDT 2012

Ordinarily that sounds like a worn pad on the rocker, so that a 15 thou
gauge with a sliding fit results in a 20 thou, say, gap.  However I note the
new rocker.

What system are you using to adjust the valves?  What clearance?  Hot or
cold?  Most people use the rule of nine where when any valve is fully down
you subtract that from nine and adjust that one, i.e. when 1 is down you
adjust 8, 6 down adjust 3, and so on.  However I have found that on some of
my valves that isn't the point with the greatest gap, it is someway one side
of it or the other, so on those I set the gap at the point of greatest gap,
and that does make them a bit quieter.

OTOH maybe the followers or something else is worn and rattling, and putting
the gauge in with the engine running is simply taking up all the gap so it
can't rattle.