[Mgs] Tightening the nut on the left side motor mount

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Mon Apr 16 14:31:40 MDT 2012

Peter,  I have not found replacement of the engine mount to be a particularly
rewarding experience. While it can be done w/o removing the rack, I think it's
as quick or quicker to remove the rack.  That gives opportunity to drain its
oil and to refill, and also to check the alignment with steering wheel's
shaft.  That alignment should not change, but I have seen a car where it was
way out, yet the steering wheel turned, albeit stiffly.  The alignment tool is
something that can be made in a few minutes on a lathe. It can be plastic,
need not be metal, as all you are trying to do is to get the points to touch.
An alternative, cheaper and faster than making cones, is to wrap a stiff wire
around each shaft, bending the wire so its pointer turns on the extended
center of the shaft without wobbling.    The three bolts on the firewall are
7/16, and having a 12 inch extension for socket wrench access from cabin side
makes the task easier.  Before you slip the rack's shaft out of the universal
joint, use a prick punch to mark its location accurately. This is a
fine-spline assembly; one spline off will be noticeable when you drive the
car. Bob