[Mgs] flasher unit help

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 02:00:01 MDT 2011

MGB, I presume.  They are behind the dash attached to the firewall, the
lower edge in front of the driver on my 73 RHD.  It should push into a
spring-clip and have green and light-green/brown wires.  It's that which
plinks when you turn so needs to be in the cabin to be heard.

If you had upset something by removing the front turn signals - which is
possible as they earth through their mounting screws - then you would have
had to have done the same thing to both if neither side works, and both rear
lights would still glow but not flash.  If nothing at all is happening it is
coincidental.  When you find the flasher unit bridge the two contacts with
the ignition on and the turn switch moved to first one side and the other.
If both front and rear light but don't flash, the flasher unit is faulty.
If still nothing happens, check for 12v on the bridged contacts at the
flasher unit with the cob.  If you see it the problem lies towards the turn
switch.  If you don't see 12v then the problem is more than likely in the
hazard switch, the 12v gets to the turn flasher unit via this switch in the
off position, and these switches are so little used the grease hardens and
can act act an insulator.  Flipping the switch back and fore can sometimes
fix it, but in the end I had to dismantle the switch (in a poly bag to catch
all the bits), dif out the old grease and put in fresh.