[Mgs] Cowl vent drainage

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Mon Oct 31 12:29:12 MST 2011

  In the right corner of the cowl vent box is a drain hole, about 3/8
diameter, that passes down a rubber tube through the car. Underneath, up high
beside the gearbox, is a ball-shaped end of the tube that looks like the
rubber tip on the end of a swimmer's snorkel.  Evergreen needles and leaves
collect in that rubber ball, and block the flow of draining water.   This is
Moss part #363-170, in the Heater section, NA in my catalogue.
  From underneath, locate the ball in the stygian darkness and, keeping your
body well away, squeeze the thing gently to open the slit.  A foul mix of wet
goop and compost will probably fall out.  The rubber ball is probably too
hardened to squeeze hard, and I wouldn't try to remove it. You may be able to
push a wire upwards through it, then pull back down to clear the drain line.
  Rinse out the cowl box with a gentle flow from a garden hose, and it should
stay clear for a while.
  Some fit a stainless steel screen under the vent.  Window screen blocks
about 50 per cent of the air flow, however, and there is none too much
initially. I use a piece of black plastic gutter guard mesh, with holes about
5/16" square.  It keeps out most of the maple seeds that twirl down at it, and
reduces the accumulation in the box.
Bob