[Mgs] question about paint prep

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Mon Oct 3 16:32:11 MDT 2011

Much truth there.  But gasoline is a very good solvent for many
applications, and much cheaper than many other solvents.  I commonly
use it to wash down an engine to remove grease, oil and dirt, then
follow with a good rinse with lacquer thinner to remove the residue
left behind by the first wash.  Lacquer thinner not only removes the
fuel slime but may also remove a lot of paint that may remain, and it
leaes nothing behind when it dries (rapidly).  Lots of solvents are
flamable, so treat accordingly. What else do you have that will
remove glue and oil, is NOT flamable, and will leave a pristienly
clean surface for painting?  Gasoline is not so bad to work with as a
cleaner if you treat it with proper respect.