[Mgs] question about paint prep

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sun Oct 2 23:08:32 MDT 2011

I'm sure it depends on the type of adhesive.  I install carpet
padding and a lot of the carpet in my MGA with "carpet adhesive"
bought by the gallon from Home Depot.  I think it is latex based, and
fairly slow drying.  I have remove old carpet and installed new
carpet a couple of times by now.  I settled on soaking it with
gasoline, scraping out the bulk of it with a gasket scraper, and
rubbing it with steel wool to wash it clean.  I was at first sort of
surprised that gasoline was a solvent for the glue, but whatever
works.  Use rubber gloves, and no smoking please.