[Mgs] Leaky clutch hydraulics

Hans Duinhoven h.duinhoven at planet.nl
Wed Nov 2 13:58:17 MST 2011

Hi Paul and all others,

Thanks for all good advise.

No leakage at tthe footwell, so I have to follow the hydraulic lines, in
order to discover, where the outside has become wet.
What might have happened, is that the hose might have been damaged, when the
engine has been overhauled two years ago. If the hose was fitted under
continuous twist force, the hose is prone to fail prematurely.

Coming to the hose subject:
After what age should hydraulic hoses be renewed?
Mine are about 15 years of age and the fluid is DOT5.

Reading all replies, I think it is safe to remove the starter first.
I hope, I won't forget to fall into the trap I did before:
Remounting the starter, where the ignition cap holder clip falls between the
starter and the engine.
The starter has to come out again, in order to fix this.

The reason why I am reluctant to remove the starter, is that all wiring has
to be taken from the starter.
No big deal you would think.
Not really true: my starter has been removed so often in the past, that the
nut holding the thick wires onto the solenoid did not fit anymore, because
the screw thread on the solenoid was bust after so many times bolting the
wires...
The car did not want to start at the end, because all thick wires became
lose.
I had to replace the solenoid, which is quite costy.

Cheers,

Hans 71 BGT