[Mgs] Non-LBC question

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:34:18 MDT 2011

On 5/2/2011 12:25 PM, mgbnutt at aol.com wrote:
> Sorry to bother the list with this question, but I need some non-LBC advice:
> (Please respond off-list)
>
> My 2002 Saab 9-3 has a developed a bad rod knock at 203,000 miles.  Does
> anyone have any experience (successfully) replacing the lower end bearings
> without pulling the engine from the car?  (New bearing will cost me about $150
> and a used engine swap is looking to be about $3500.)
>
> I realize that "flying in" new bearings is an 'iffy" procedure at best, but
> this is not meant to be a long term solution.  I'm just looking for a cheap
> fix so I can drive a few 1,000 miles until I can buy another vehicle.  Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated!
>
> BTW - You don't necessarily have to have had Saab experience - I was just
> hoping someone on the list had successfully performed this sort of procedure.
The only successful application of this idea I ever saw was a mechanic friend in Ontario who removed the head and oil pan and pistons and rods from an engine in place and then used a belt to smooth the journals that were damaged by running the abrasive and polishing belts down through the bores while spinning the engine on the starter. The belts were supported from above by his hands and wide rubber bands. I thought at the time that it would have been easier to do a standard overhaul. Back in those days, it was sometimes possible to buy slightly undersized bearings to accomodate this sort of work. I would bet that they are no longer available. It might be possible to just install new bearings and get a few miles more, but if you have been hearing that knock for any significant amount of time, I doubt it.

-Rocky Frisco