[Mgs] Clutch pedal sticking down

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sun Jun 26 11:29:16 MDT 2011

The pedal itself should never remain down.  It shoud have a tension
spring near the pivot point above your toes that will lift the pedal
to top position, even if something else sticks.

The clutch pressure plate has very strong springs, enough to put 1200
pounds squeeze on the clutch friction disc, 400 pound load on the
clutch release bearing, 220 pounds on the slave cylinder pushrod, 280
psi hydraulic pressure, 120 pounds force on the master cylinder
pushrod, and about 35 pounds on the clutch pedal pad.  If anything in
that mechanisn sticks in the actuated position, it is indeed a very
serious problem.

If you can reproduce the condition when the pedal sticks down you
will have an easier time diagnosing the problem.  If opening the
bleed nipple releases pressure so the slave piston and release lever
will return, then you may have an internally collapsed flex hose in
need of replacement.  See here:
      http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/hydraulics/ht104.htm
The hose is fairly cheap and easy enough to replace.

If relieving the pressure does not return the slave piston and
release lever, then the slave piston may be stuck in the bore.  Five
years ago there was a case of an aluminum piston in a slave cylinder
with very odd excessive wear.  The piston should be steel, not
aluminum.  See here:
      http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft032.htm
If you suspect a slave cylinder problem, it bears disassembly for
inspection.  A simple honing operation and a repacking kit can be
easy and cheaper than a new slave cylinder assembly.

If the slave cylinder and hose appear to be in good condition, then
by process of elimination you have a sticky pistion in the master
cylinder.  Same applies here, disassemble for inspection first.  If
the bore looks good, then honing and a repacking kit may be cheap
fix.  If the bore is scratched or pitted beyond being able to hone it
clean, then having it bored out and sleeved may be cheaper than a new
master cylinder (or maybe not).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an atttiude
http://MGAguru.com