[Mgs] Spring washers don't work !

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Wed Jun 22 11:40:50 MDT 2011

That would be funny, if it wasn't so blatently stupid.  The "test"
fixture and the way it is set up and operates is designed to produce
special conditions that do not ever exist in your car.  In short, the
machine is designed and built specifically to unscrew the nut.

Just as one example for consideration, would you expect the cylinder
head on your engine to orbit around on the head gasket when the
engine is running?  That is exactly what this machine does.  The
plate immediately below the nut has a large clearnce hole.  I don't
see the rest of the machine, other than to know it is fibrating with
a lot of input energy.  I don't know if the loose plate is being
physically driven in vibration and orbital motion, or if it does that
by virtue of the mass of the plate.  The method of motivation of the
plate is irrellevent.  The point is, the plate is orbiting in the
direction required to unscrew the nut.  This is similar to putting
wire wheel hubs on the wrong side of the car so the knock off nut
will unscrew itself as you drive rather than being self-tightening.

A lockwasher on the cylinder head bolt may or may not prevent the nut
from unscrewing, but it certainly does not cause the nut to
unscrew.  In the case of this special machine, the moving plate will
generate more unscrewing torque that the lockwasher can resist, same
as being able to unscrew the nut with a big enough wrench.  All you
need to defeat this machine is a left handed thread on the screw and
nut to make the nut self-tightening, just like wire wheel knock-off nuts.

The demonstation in the video is a party trick designed to enable you
to suspend your common sense long enough to be fooled.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com