[Mgs] Alternator connector question

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 09:52:44 MDT 2011

Ordinarily, with the brown/yellow warning light connected, the alternator
will start charging once the revs reach about 900rpm.  After that it doesn't
need the brown/yellow, it is self-exciting down to about 600rpm, so will
charge normally unless the revs fall below this.  With the brown/yellow is
disconnected a *used* alt should start charging once the engine is revved to
about 3k, then will charge down to about 600rpm as before.  A brand-new alt
out of the box may not do this.

So if your revs dropped below 600, and weren't raised to about 3k once the
brown/yellow had become disconnected, then it could account for your
problem.  However as the warning light flickered before the charge failed, I
suspect it is the actual alternator that is the main problem, the loose wire
is just a coincidence.  There is usually a little tang on the spade that
locks behind a projection in the insulator block, with these it is a matter
of pushing a thin blade from the open end between the connector and the
block, to depress it.