[Mgs] windshields

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Tue Jun 14 09:42:16 MDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Paul Root wrote:

> The other question is cost. The aftermarket is $106, and the Pilkington is
> $349. So a company buys the Triplex name and charges 3 times the cost?

Pilkington didn't buy the Triplex name.  Pilkington bought the company that
made Triplex glass (and spent years doing so before they finally gained
controlling interest before 1967, the googles say 1965).

That said, my 2006 Subaru had great glass.  Now, it has glass from a local
autoglass company because my insurance company wouldn't pay for OEM (and I
couldn't afford a $700 windscreen at the time).  The difference is readily
apparent.

> Of course, the aftermarket doesn't have modified corners.
>
> I'm thinking I might be better off going to a local autoglass company.

Be sure to look through it first, the strongly curved glass of the MGB screen
will make distortion affects much worse, if the flaws in my new Subaru glass
are anything to go by.  It's anecdotal, but my experience is that OEM glass
tends to be higher quality.  Worth the price?  Maybe not, but when the delta
is only $250, it would be worth it to me.

--
Aaron