[Mgs] Hydraulics

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 11 07:05:57 MDT 2011

Surely the only advantage of DOT5/silicone is that is doesn't attack
paintwork, but it's disadvantage is that it is more compressible than glycol
giving a spongier pedal.  Moisture will get into all brake systems
regardless of fluid type, and it will lower the boiling point of all of
them.  Because silicone isn't compatible with ABS generic car parts places
like Halfords in the UK don't stock it any more, stocking just DOT4 and
DOT4.1, the latter having a higher boiling point than DOT4 or DOT5, and less
compressible than DOT5.  However it still attacks paintwork as far as I
know.