[Mgs] Hydraulics

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 08:15:36 MDT 2011

On my several trips across the English Channel by fast ferry (SeaCat) there
was always a display in the passenger area of a navigation screen showing
islands, water depth and the like.  At least once per trip this would
display the Blue Screen Of Death and the Windows logo as it rebooted.  One
trusted that it was only for passenger interest, and not the actual
navigation ...

Of course each upward shift of fluid designation - DOT3, DOT4, DOT5 gave an
improved resistance to boiling, which for road cars is almost totally
irrelevant.  DOT5 is silicone which does not contain enough lubricant for
ABS systems, hence DOT5.1, which is an improvement to DOT4 (which does
contain enough lubricant) but is not compatible with DOT5.  However Castrol
LMA is at least as good in braking performance as DOT5 and 5.1 but predates
them and DOT 4 at least by years.  If you can get it.