[Mgs] Hydraulics

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Fri Jun 10 07:58:32 MDT 2011

Hi Steve,
  The '68 and '72 MGBs have brake master cylinders that are difficult to
rebuild and not continue leaking. Several in my '72 have leaked, rebuilt, new,
new and rebuilt new. Finally I had White Post sleeve a new one.   There is not
much paint around the MCs.
   The sleeved new MC does not leak during warm weather, when I drive the car
regularly. During the snow and salt season, it does leak a little.
   My experience with my TD is that DOT 5 leaked whereas the DOT 3 that it
replaced did not leak. Having spoiled several sets of brake shoes, I had White
Post sleeve all wheel cylinders, and leaks stopped.
   I also think that the answer is to drive the cars more, and to change fluid
every couple of years.
Bob