[Mgs] Ignition Switch

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 01:54:02 MDT 2011

The lock and the switch are usually held together with a little grub-screw,
so you should be able to work out if it is the switch or the lock that are
causing the problem.  However the only lubricant that should be used in the
lock is powdered graphite, liquid lubricants will attract dust and cause
jamming.  New locks come with keys, and the ignition keys only operate that
lock and switch (in the UK at least) so unless you are particularly attached
to the original key that shouldn't be an issue.  If the locks are anything
like the door locks it may also be possible to swap the unique bits over
from one lock to another and so use the original key, but bear in mind the
innards may be different even though the assembly is compatible with your
column, and you may just transfer the problem to the new lock.