[Mgs] Seat Belts

Murray Arundell arundell at ghs.com.au
Sat Jul 2 15:41:42 MDT 2011

OK I'll open up a can of worms here..... why is it that Americans were so
opposed to mandatory wearing of seat belts?  European, Australians, and pretty
well everyone else in the world just accepted it because it was
sensible......

Murray Arundell
Brisbane Australia

On 03/07/2011, at 3:26 AM, Barney Gaylord wrote:

> Installation of seat belts is originally regulated by federal law, and
pre-dates federal emissions regulations.  For 1960 model year cars were
required to have seat belt anchor ponts for the front seats.  For 1963 they
were required to have front lap belts and anchor points for rear seats.  In
1966 they were required to have rear lap belts.  In 1968 (or maybe 1969) they
were required to have shoulder harness for the two outboard front seats, but
it was common for the shoulder strap to attach separately (and maybe not be
used). A few years later the law was ammended to require the shoulder strap to
be permanently attached to the lap belt.

> In 1974 for one year only the cars had a pressure sensor in the front seats
and a seat belt latch sensor and and a seat-belt to ignition interlock.  You
had to perforn the proper sequence to start the car, sit down, buckle up, and
then start the engine.  This raised such a public outrage that it was changed
the following year to require only visual and audible warnings (light and
buzzer).

> Vintage cars should be grandfathered in the law to specificatoins as of date
of manufacture.  That means MGA would have seat belt anchor points in late
1959, but no MGA was ever required to actually have seat belts.  It is my
understanding that the factory never insalled seat belts in any MGA, but
dealers would do it it you wanted them.  So if your MGA has no seat belts you
are exempt.  I have never heard of any state law in North America requiring
retroactive modification contrary to the federal specifications.

> However, if you do install seat belts in your MGA, you will be required to
wear them in many states (including Illinois).  Seat belts actually installed
but not used is a violation.

> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude
> http://MGAguru.com
>

> At 09:52 AM 7/2/2011 -0400, frankk12 at verizon.net wrote:
>> Rhode Island, where I live just enacted a mandatory seat belt law. My
problem is that my MGA and 64 B don't have seat belts. What does the group
recommend for installing belts? I had preferred to keep the cars original.
Older cars were grandfathered when it came to inspections and belts were not
required if they weren't originally installed. I assume this isn't the case
with the new mandatory law. Is there a set of belts that doesn't seriously
compromise the originality of the cars?