[Mgs] TD tires

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Thu Jan 13 15:11:31 MST 2011

  Two or three years ago Sports & Classics, Stamford CT, supplied Lexington
165/80 x 15s.  They are big and "balooney" looking, rather close in appearance
(for a radial) to the original Dunlop 5.50 x 15 spare that has never been
used.   Lexington is not, however, from Lexington MA. It's Chinese.  The tire
installer who mounted them bent three of four rims. The company that
straightened the wheels told me that tires can stick mighty tight to wheels
over time and that our TD rims are thin and soft. The old Firestone
"gum-dipped" tires had been on the rims ten or more years, so it could have
been adhesion rather than clumsiness that bent the wheels. Bob   ----------