[Mgs] Carburetors

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Mon Jan 10 22:00:36 MST 2011

Most likely a clogged fuel filter of screen, or a low flow fuel
pump.  Start by disconnecting the hose feeding the carbs.  Hold it in
a catch vessel, switch on, and check teh fuel flow.  You should get a
veritable gusher, at least one pint per minute.  If not, then check
for a kinked fuel pipe, check the screen in the fuel pump, check for
an air leak in the line between tank and pump, check for anstructed
pickup inside the tank.

If you have good fuel flow at the feed hose, then check the screens
in the float chamber inlet ports.  Since you can sometimes get full
power for some time, there is likely no problem with fuel feed from
the float chambers to the main jets.  Problem is most liekly loss of
fuel level in the float chamber(s).  This might also be caused by a
faulty float valve or a sticking (or less likely sinking) float.