[Mgs] heater motor wiring

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Tue Jan 4 20:07:54 MST 2011

Steve,

-- First things first.  If there is no instruction sheet with the new
motor telling you how to handle the incorrect wire terminal(s), then
call the vendor immediatery to report the faulty part.  There should
be two black wires with bullet connectors. Please let me (or us) know
the response.  Can you send me a picture of the new motor and the wire ends?

Heater motor harness wires in MGA should be Black, and Green/browN
(GN), not Green.  See here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/circ_f1.htm

All MGA and early MGB heater motors are not polarity sensitive.  They
will run the same direction even if you switch the wires, which is
why both wires on the motor are Black.  Difference between MGA and
MGB is opposite rotation (different part number for the motor).  To
reverse the rotation requires opening the motor housing to swap wires
on the field coils (a minor soldering exercise).  Put your new motor
an a battery to be sure it turns the right direction.

Later production MGB heater motor is polarity sensitive.  Switching
wires makes it run backward.  These may bo permanent magnet motors
(possibly more powerful for higher speed).  These motors will have
color coded wires.

I think MGB GT V8 heater motor is shorter (about 1-inch), needed to
clear the cylinder head on the V8 engine.  Got one of those from V.B.
some years ago (one size fits all) and sent it back.  Pretty sure
that one is a permanent magnet motor.  MGB 1975-1980 heater motor has
three wires (possibly two speed?).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com