[Mgs] dashpots or ??

Dave dave at ranteer.com
Mon Feb 14 09:21:09 MST 2011

o;?I hadnbt driven the car for a few weeks, so Ibm not sure if I correctly
remember.  I think I was having trouble previously keeping the car running at
idle; I had to pull the choke out for it to stay running.

We went for a drive today; about 30 minutes of freeway and 10 minutes of
neighborhood driving.  I was having trouble keeping the car at idle; I had to
use the choke to turn the revs up a bit to keep it running.  We turned the car
off, looked around for 10 or 15 minutes, then got back in the car and drove
around a bit more.  Went to a drive in to deposit a check, and had a bit of
trouble keeping it running, and then restarting it, so I left it idling for
the 10 or 15 minutes we were in line.  Got done with that, then as I was
leaving the car died and I couldnbt restart it.  Pushed it off into a
parking spot, and looked under the hood.  I noticed one of the dashpot tops
was unscrewed, so I put that back on.  Car wouldnbt start.  Put dashpot oil
in; car wouldnbt start.  Sprayed some WD-40 into the air filters and it
started.  Drove it home with the choke way out!

Back in the garage I pushed the choke back in and it idled just fine.  Turned
it off and back on, no biggie.

Am I correct in thinking that the dashpot cover/oil was the issue; I flooded
it; and now its more or less back to normal?  Or should I be looking for
something deeper?