[Mgs] MGB alternator

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Thu Aug 25 15:00:44 MDT 2011

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill at msubillings.edu>
To: "'mgbob at juno.com'" <mgbob at juno.com>, "mgs at autox.team.net"
<mgs at autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Mgs] MGB alternator
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:26:43 +0000

Hi Dave,
   I've done the diodes, that 12,722 miles ago ( I still keep a fuel & service
log) and before at some interval too.  General feeling around our club is that
the diodes today are so inferior to those of 30 years ago that using them is a
toss-up.  Thinking about this, I recall that my 1975 MGB alternator lasted
some 200,000 miles while I drove the car, but these two sets have been
short-lived.
   Autozone is a chain here in the northeast.  Only rarely have I dealt with
them; my question using their name only because others have used Autozone for
inexpensive rebuilt parts. It's good to know you will have two businesses
where only one existed before.
Bob

Personally, I would do the diodes. But then, I have had my alternator for
about 27 years after buying it used. It was in my 71BGT, now my 72B, and I
would estimate mileage at 200,000. I have gone through two sets of brushes (or
maybe three) and its still generating electricity.

On another note, you mention Autozone. Is this a good place for parts? We
don't have one locally but I found out today that one of our local medical
marijuana establishments is going to be leveled and an Autozone built in its
place. Not to worry - the dispensary is relocating to a kiosk on the same lot
so it could be a one stop location for car parts and medicinal herbs for those
in need.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT