[Mgs] Selling my '79 MGB Limited Edition

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Mon Aug 22 08:03:05 MDT 2011

In years even further past, NADA just used a depreciation formula based on the
initial new price of the car. It worked well (I think) for American cars which
typically lost value faster but not so much for MGBs. When I bought by first
71 BGT in 1978, with about 60k miles and in almost new condition, I paid
around $2000. When I went to license it in another county, the clerk told me I
needed a bill of sale for sales tax or if not, they would have to use blue
book (NADA). I asked them how much was their value, they said $1000. So I took
that and left happy (at 4% sales tax, I paid $40 instead of $80). Now I see
that values seem to be high but not unreasonable with NADA or Kelly book
values.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT