[Mgs] Starter Issues?

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 21:37:56 MDT 2011

> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Starter Issues?
>
> On 8/15/2011 12:35 PM,frankk12 at verizon.net  wrote:
>> My 1980 LE is giving me starting issues.

Others have made the usual suspect options for what the problem could
be. Paul has a good roundup of solutions and tests.

Some things not mentioned; it might be contact inside the ignition
switch. I've had this show up several times when I thought I'd go out of
my mind hunting the problem down.I wasn't getting enough amperage
through the ignition switch to activate the system.  Another problem
(that I'm starting to suspect on my car ('67) is the flywheel flatting
out. I put in a freshly rebuilt starter from a reputable local rebuilder
and within months it started doing the same thing - loud click, no
start. The new one is a month old and I'm pretty sure it's not the
starter or the solenoid (loud click as referenced before only louder).
That may be a part of it. There may be three levels of loud - relay,
solenoid and flywheel. If it's a Really Loud Click, try putting the
transmission through the gears (including reverse) and hit it again.
Then put it in gear and rock the car back and forth. If that doesn't do
it you're probably free of flywheel problems.

If you do decide to go with the new starter, pull your distributor out
first. If you're attacking from higher ground you can pull it up through
that hole. If you're coming from underneath you'll need the room to turn
it over 180 degrees to get it out. Even if you're on your back I'd still
say it's easier coming out from underneath. I haven't played with a
hi-torque but you'll need that to get the old one out.

I will reiterate the cable connections at the battery and the condition
of the battery itself. There's an old saying - 'It's not the voltage
that will kill you, it's the amperage.' We get batteries all the time at
the shop that show 12.5 volts but don't have the amperage left to apply
them. But start by cleaning the terminals and cable clamps. Even if they
look clean. If you don't have a battery brush, sandpaper or a pocket
knife will do. Just get down to shiny new lead.

Glenn