[Mgs] Battery question

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Fri Apr 15 18:03:12 MDT 2011

No, this was my old school "Boy Scout" method of being prepared by carrying a
spare battery. Maybe I wasn't explicit enough. But now for the rest of today's
story....

I have been unable to find anyone locally to work on my Land Rover, meaning I
remain the mechanic. My short is likely a computer problem which I am going to
have fixed in a trip to Oregon in a few weeks. Just need to keep the car
running until then plus make the 900 mile trip in it.

So I called this outfit, Columbia Rover, to set up a time to fix it and I
asked him about the $200 Diehard battery. He said no, what I need is a "jump
box". A little research on the Internet and I found a couple of prospective
portable jump starters. Got the $60 Diehard - it had to be charged first for
an hour, took it to the car, hooked it up and it started the car right up.

Well, like I said, I am my own mechanic, even with the Land Rover, and I don't
get out much. I'm sure these cool, small profile portable jump starters have
been around for awhile but I've never had the need since I have decent battery
chargers at home (not portable, 120 v). Still, this is one cool device.

Now I can get back to the rear axle project on my 67BGT tomorrow, my first
thrust washer job. I'm part way in and so far it has been pretty decent. But
then, I am about ready to pull the axle shaft out a couple of inches next.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B