[Mgs] Rattle in dash

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 01:47:15 MDT 2011

Ordinarily I'd expect the needle to show visible fluttering if it were in
the cable or speedo input shaft.  With the stop-start it could be the
odometer gears 'creaking' when in a certain part of their revolution, which
would show itself as being in time with certain digits being visible.
Seeing if the noise is still there with the speedo disconnected would
indicate whether it were the speedo or not, although it could also indicate
a cable problem but just not doing it when the 'load' of the speedo is
removed from it.  15 years could be a dry cable, one would hope one was past
the 'infant mortality' that so often afflicts replacement parts these days
after 10k.