[Mgs] LED BULBS FOR MGA

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Thu Sep 16 17:29:43 MDT 2010

At 06:28 PM 9/16/2010 -0400, Tom Gunderson wrote:
>Is anybody using leds for turn and stop lights.

Straight in line LED plug in bulbs are pretty useless, as they are
not bright enough, they are directional, and they point in the wrong
direction.  The universal plug in articulated round array from about
2004 is a little better as a tail light, but still not bright enough
for brake light or turn signal.  It is also directional, not very
visible from the side, and requires a specially fabricated mount to
hold it in the right position.

I haven't tried them yet, but there is hope with a new product.  In
2009 BMC British Automobile, LLC produced a new LED array that is
custom tailored for the MGA tail light.  See here:
http://bmcautos.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19
These are available for either positive or negative earth.  As with
anything electronic, I would recommend converting the electrical
system to negative earth first.  I have heard from a couple people
intending to install these parts, but so far no user report.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com