[Mgs] MGA shoe Brakes

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Fri Sep 10 15:22:59 MDT 2010

By "hard" I presume you mean rock solid pedal within an inch of top
or pedal travel.  This can happen when fluid does not return to the
master cylinder reservoir when released.  When fluid gets hot it
expands and can cause higher pressure in the curcuit (blocked with no
return).  This can caus dragging of the brake shoes and pads
resulting in hot hubs and wheels, bad fuel economy, worn brake parts.

This could be caused by master pushrod being adjusted too long so
piston cannot return all the way to the end plate.  Check that
first.  When at rest the pushrod needs just a touch of wiggle for a
very small amount of freeplay (pre-travel on the pedal).