[Mgs] rocker threads causing problems

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Thu Oct 7 16:28:14 MDT 2010

Well, there are calibration services.  And you can always apply a
known force (fish scale?) and knowing the length of the wrench, some
math can tell you the torque.  The easiest way would be to borrow
another torque wrench and do come comparison experiments.  If the
wrench is a truck brand like Snap-on, Mac, etc. I've heard that some
of them have some kind of tester on their trucks.  What kind of
wrench is it?  The "old fashioned" beam type torque wrenches tend to
be pretty reliable, because there isn't really a mechanism, it's just
physics.  Are you sure you've got the torque spec right?  I once
broke a bolt because the spec said inch-pounds and I applied that
many foot-pounds.  Of course, if I had engaged my brain I would have
realized that it was much too much torque for the size bolt.

-Steve