[Mgs] Ran When Parked

Don don at napanet.net
Sat Nov 20 15:50:23 MST 2010

Ran When Parked: Advice and Adventures from the Affordable Underbelly
of Car Collecting - by Rob Sass [Paperback]

The title of the book made me laugh, and piqued my interest enough to
take a look inside the book.  Too many times I've seen that term used
to describe a car for sale.

I just finished reading the book, and I must say that it is is a
great book on buying and owning old cars that are are not, and
probably never will be considered exotics.  The author writes for
Sports Car Market magazine, and his journalism skills are
fantastic.  A lot of the book is about cars he has found and
purchased, and what he encountered in the process.  He has a knack
for finding nice unmolested original cars at reasonable prices, then
fixing them up a bit, enjoying them for a period of time, then
selling for a profit.  He doesn't get rich off this, but it is
apparent he loves the chase as much as the conquest.

Cars that are discussed in the book include everything from Alfa
Romeos to Volvos.  However, British cars get proportionally more
pages than cars from other places.  He has sections of the book
devoted to MG Midget, MGB, Spitfire, Jensen Healy, TVR, Daimler
SP-250, TR4, MGB, Sunbeam Alpine, TR6, Jaguar XJ6, and Jag XKE.

http://www.amazon.com/Ran-When-Parked-Adventures-Affordable/dp/0981727042

Don Scott
Calistoga CA USA
1966 TR4A