[Mgs] Heater Core Removal Q - MGB

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:12:12 MST 2010

Yes, it is possible but it is not pretty. I did this once many years
ago, perhaps out of desperation, but I was able to pull the heater
assembly out partway (a few inches or so), far enough for me to pry it
open and pull the heater core out and later put it back. It did involve
bending the cover a bit in the process but I flattened it back during
reassembly. So in short, some cosmetic damage to the heater assembly
cover will probably occur meaning you may end up revisiting the process
later. In my case, it worked out because I replaced the whole assembly
about ten or 15 years later when I had the engine out. It was a bit
easier removing and reinstalling when I could stand in the engine
compartment area as I recall.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT