[Mgs] 64' MGB, did it have one or two keys?

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 09:28:17 MST 2010

MGBs usually had a spare key screwed to the firewall in the engine
compartment, but whether that was a door key or an ignition key when
steering locks were fitted I can't recall exactly, although I think it was
door.  When steering locks were fitted the one other key operated both
doors, the boot and the glove compartment.  Earlier cars without a steering
lock used the same style of key for the ignition as for the doors, Clausager
says FS or FP for some very early cars which also opened the doors, the
glovebox originally shared its key with the boot and later had its own FT
key.  Steering lock ignition keys only had a number, not a letter prefix.
The BMIHT 'birth certificate' for any particular car should state both door
and ignition (original) key numbers.

FWIW.