[Mgs] I win

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 14:51:56 MDT 2010

Finally, after nearly 2 months (of good weather) I'm back on the road.

In late April, I started getting an  engine dying on the highway, after 10
miles or so. In the course of two days, it got worse, and I parked it. When I
had time (which was about an hour total in May), I tried to diagnose it. I
convinced myself it was the coil. So I got a new one, and spark plug wires
too. Spark plug wires because my daily driver Subaru, was acting up as well.
ODB II code of a misfire in cylinder two. Changed the plugs there, even though
they looked perfect. Then changed the wires.

I then decided to pull my new (last year) pertronix dizzy. No help.

At some point, I swapped in a new relay in both the ignition relay and the
starter relay. To no effect.

Then it wouldn't turn over at all. Charged the battery, still nothing I tear
into the wiring all through that area, find the battery terminal stripped on
the starter solenoid. Tried taking apart the solenoid to just replace the
terminal. It doesn't come apart, at least not in such a way that I'd ever get
it back together. :-)

Went to O'Reilly Auto, who have starters and alternators (at least) for an
MGB, not to mention a clerk with an LBC (don't remember what). As a bonus,
they both carry lifetime warrantees. So I just got a whole new start. Only
$80 after the core charge. Delivered to the store in a day.

That got me back to turning over and sounding like it starts only to stall
again when you let the key go.

For a while I was thinking the anti-runon valve was flaking out.

Finally, today, I got it working.

Don't read below until you come up with your theory. :-)

I was trying to figure out how to use my remote starter, connect to the wires
of the solenoid relay, and was getting nothing. So I made up a 3 inch cable
with male ends on both ends and hooked up the brown to the brown white on the
ignition relay. And that was that, the car started right up and ran perfectly.
I pulled out that relay, and opened it up. Sure enough it was burned inside.

Last year, I had messed something up in the wiring over there, but it had
seemed fine.  I can't explain how it didn't work for me 2-3 weeks ago when I
tried my spare relay.

So, I put the new relay back in place, and took it out for a nice drive. Well,
maybe too aggressive drive, but it was on semi-country roads.

Good to be back on the road.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Paul.