[Mgs] watch your chains

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 21:36:20 MDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/3/10, Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke at comcast.net> wrote:

> Actually, Paul, that is exactly what
> happens. BUT ONLY IF THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN REQUIRES IT!

Even more serious than the problem of counterfeit chain
is counterfeit case-hardened bolts.  Phony Grade-8s have
been pouring out of "countries of dubious responsibility"
for over two decades.  Some radio towers and other
structures have actually failed because of this.  If
you are in the market for case-hardened fasteners, know
the logos of the manufacturers and only accept those
with a pedigree.  When I worked for Tacoma Screw Products,
we bought only NOS from US manufacturers, or from Frasier
Fasteners in Vancouver, BC.  Lives, property, and really
expensive lawsuits hung in the balance.  Industrial
counterfeiting is a big, big problem.