[Mgs] no rich cunky volts

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 01:41:59 MDT 2010

Depends just where that fuse is inserted, both for what might have blown it
as well as what still worked and what didn't work when it had blown.
Current through the indicator warning light from the alternator is pretty
small, enough to keep a relay operated but not much else, certainly not
ignition or fuel pump, but the low impedance of the ignition is certainly
enough to light it at near full brilliance, which is what you see every time
you turn the ignition off while the engine is spinning down.  Even less
chance of bump starting the engine when the alternator was no longer
charging, if there wasn't enough current available to keep the engine
running when it was.  Also when you did bump start it, if the warning light
was no longer on, then the 12v ignition supply must have been back on again
(which was why it *did* start).  It could be that the short caused a weak
connection at the fuse to open up, but not actually blow the fuse.  That
'repaired' itself, quite possibly during the bump-start, also dislodging the
short, only for the short to come back on again (as they do) but this time
blow the fuse.  Good job you had one, or it could burn the wiring.  With
faults like this about the only option is to temporarily insert fuses in
various branches of the white circuit, and break down which branch is
causing the problem that way.