[Mgs] no rich cunky volts

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Tue Jul 6 09:06:48 MDT 2010

Do alternator regulators have the ability to cut off stupid shorts?

The situation:
 I planned to drive the MG to work today, car started as normal and I'm happy.
I drive down hill about 2 blocks and approach the first stoplight, when the
red light in the dash comes on, very brightly.  No changes when revving.  I
feel a slight stumble and think "get this car home!", but only make it about
half way up the hill before she dies.

I'm able to get the car re-oreiented so it's nose down backed into a driveway,
set the brake and pop the hood.

One of the primary wires (I have a Bosch alternator, there are two "big
spades" that are wired parallel) is not on the spade, but resting in the
aluminum well that surrounds it.

At this point, the car turns over and sounds like it does have weak spark (I
hear little pops, but not enough to get the car to run), so I coast back down
the hill and park at the local grocery.  The red light is NOT on.  While
coasting down, I attempted a rolling start, revved to about 2000rpm, no red
light then either.

Aside from the obvious (test alternator, test battery), what else do I worry
about; there were no baking wire smells.

--
Aaron