[Mgs] weber or not

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 09:21:39 MST 2010

Well you definitely need to find out what is causing that before splashing
out on a rebuild, or replacement carbs.  Could be something really silly and
simple.

Assuming you have HSs remove the float chamber lids, is there about the same
amount of fuel in each?

If none in the rear then check the rear float valve and the line feeding
that cover for flow.

If the level looks about the same replace the covers, remove the air filters
so you can see the top of the jets, connect a tube to each float chamber
vent port in turn, blow in it gently, and you should see fuel bubble up out
of the jet.

If not the jet or pipe appears to be blocked, the sealing washer can
decompose.

If that's OK look in the intakes as you open the throttle and watch the
pistons, they should both rise the same amount, and both be delayed by the
dampers the same amount.

What are the rear plugs like compared to the front?  We've just gone through
this same symptom for someone elsewhere and they were black and sooty, which
eventually proved to be a .100 jet in the rear carb and a .090 in the front,
i.e. a grossly rich mixture even with the rear jet wound fully up.
Something which should have been obvious by a failure to adjust the mixture
from weak, through correct to rich and back again on that carb.  That took
three months and 99 posts to resolve!