[Mgs] [MG-MGB] clutch cylinder rebuild

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 03:52:39 MST 2010

The individual seals aren't identified in the Parts Catalogue, only the repair
kits.  These are different between brake and clutch, but early and middle
(pre-78) versions of each all-metal cylinder take the same kit, implying the
seals didn't change.  The kit did change for the 78-on clutch, and by that
time all brake cylinders were completely different of course.   The bore, and
possibly the stroke, push-rod length and pedal travel would all have to be the
same for the same seals to be used, I suggest.  Clutch was 19mm bore, can't
find a reliable indication of brake, but if both are dismantled should be easy
enough to compare.

  ... So my very
  technical question - were the older piston/seals the same on both master
  cylinders as it looks to me on visual inspection. Or do I need to
  convert the piston in the clutch master cylinder?