[Mgs] Tops, hoods.

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 12 17:55:31 MST 2010

I'm afraid I really wouldn't blame the top -- it's probably the
installation. Sure, anybody can poke some holes, install some fasteners, and
glue the header. But knowing how much slack to allow in each area requires
experience with the materials, and those of us who install one top per
lifetime can't be expected to have it. I have a packaway top, which you
would think would be the simplest case possible, but I still had it
installed by a professional. And it fits nice and taut, with no
quarter-window wrinkles (a commonly-seen flaw). Only after 25-some years is
it starting to shrink enough that the push-the-dots are hard to do. And at
this point the vinyl is getting a little brittle. I did tear a little
stitching around the top windshield snap tab -- the tabs seemed to be just a
hair short from the get-go (though this can also be a function of the header
placement and the catch adjustment).

This is a Moss "OEM replacement type" top (not the "economy" top or the
Robbins), that has spent most of its career in a canvas bag in the boot.
Good features about this top that some others seem to lack are the rain
gutters above the side windows, and the deep flap that sits inside the side
glass for sealing.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149