[Mgs] B trans question

Norm nsippel at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 10 10:05:47 MST 2010

Glenn says, "The only problem I've seen is that for engine removal, you HAVE
to remove both as a unit. No more engine only clutch jobs. That may not be
the case with a four synchro without OD. But it I doubt it. It has to do
with not being able to clear the spigot and getting to the
backplate-bellhouse bolts, if I remember."

Actually, I always found that I was able to R&R JUST the engine.  And, after
the problem with the t.o. arm, I did that 5-times in one year.  Was able to
do MGB engine R&R that way in 5 hours flat working alone.  And, I'm not a
professional mechanic.

To this day, I still don't know why people take the trans out when not
necessary.  Longest it ever took me to align input shaft splines with clutch
plate was maybe 5 minutes--maybe.  Usually it slides in on 1st or 2nd try.
Same with my Turner.  Only problem with the Turner is the 948 engine.
Everything is so much smaller with correspondingly less room to work than on
the B.  My fingers are too big.  Last Turner engine install took a whopping
10 hours excluding pauses to swear.

Norm Sippel