[Mgs] B trans question

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 14:53:26 MST 2010

I'm currently running a '69 trans w/OD in my '67 Mk I and a tube axle.

Things I had to do (mind you, I had all this from my '69):
I *think* I did the backplate (makes sense)

Flywheel with ring gear
starter
prop shaft
move the lever hole
run wire for OD

The only mod to the body was that the shift lever moved towards the rear
by a few inches and it's too far to use the same hole. I cut a crescent
from the rear of the hole about 1" deep and tacked it to the front of
the hole. Before I could get the carpet on I discovered British
Automotive had a fiberglass cover (NLA to my knowledge) made for the
mod. Fit fine, but a different profile than original so I wound up doing
some custom carpeting that I think looks a lot better than OEM.

The propshafts are kind of all over the place. OD or not? Banjo or
Salisbury? What to do? Turned out the shaft from the '69 with OD and
Salisbury fit perfectly for Mk I with LH OD and banjo. I just put a
Salisbury in and had to change shafts again. Your move. Propshaft length
is a black art.

There is ample clearance for the unit as is without bashing. The only
problem I've seen is that for engine removal, you HAVE to remove both as
a unit. No more engine only clutch jobs. That may not be the case with a
four synchro without OD. But it I doubt it. It has to do with not being
able to clear the spigot and getting to the backplate-bellhouse bolts,
if I remember.

That's all I can think of. You MAY need to re-calibrate the speedo. Mine
was off and needed done anyway. Still, not that bad if you have the
extra bits.

--
Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.

			- Psuedolus