[Mgs] Mgs] Muffler info needed

Norm 2Bs twobees at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 21 14:38:17 MST 2010

Frank:

Having had 4 MGB's I think can help.

With '65 B, I tried eliminating the front muffler as it too often got caught
on my driveway.  N.G.  Too loud, even for the young buck I was at the time.
With the '80, stock system gave way to Abarth, smaller diameter than yours.
Not much different than stock in sound.
With the '66, I went from Abarth to SuperTrapp to Peco.
    SuperTrapp did a good job of silencing, and you can get a variety of
inlet sizes.  Only problem was engineering the exhaust pipe route.  Not
easy.  Sound was different.  In fact I used to park in an underground garage
& one day got out of the B while it was running.  At idle it sounded like a
small-block Chevy V-8.  Remove the baffles & it roared.
    Peco was just a big muffler in the position of the usual rear one.  It
had a rumble, but wasn't annoyingly loud on the highway.  For racing, I just
removed the muffler & installed a straight pipe.  Easy to do at the track.

Norm