[Mgs] SU fuel pumps

Eric J Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Thu Dec 16 12:26:42 MST 2010

> I would have to periodically "thump" the fuel pump...

It is likely I've told this story before but why should that stop me?

I bought my MGA when I was in high school (1970). When the fuel pump needed
frequent whacks to keep running I removed it and took inside to my Dad's
basement workshop. I had it partially disassembled when Dad happened to walk
by. He stopped and in a more angry than curious voice he asked, "where did
you get that?"

I explained that it was the fuel pump from my MG and I was fixing it because
it kept getting stuck due to worn/burned points.

My Dad was am aircraft mechanic who was trained by the Army Air Corps as a
pilot during WW2. He flew C47's in the India/China/Burma theater. After the
war he flew for Northeast Airlines and later Delta.

Anyway, my Dad said the mechanism for the running lights in the C47 (also
known as the DC3) looked exactly like the SU fuel pump.

He said that had recently been in the captain's seat of a DC9 (twin engine
jet) waiting to take off from Boston's Logan airport. A cargo DC3 was at the
head of the line but the control tower would not give them permission to
take off because their running lights were not flashing. The lights would
turn on but not flash. After many frustrating minutes waiting as the DC3's
crew tried to fix the lights my Dad broke in over the radio and said, "pilot
of DC3, tell your navigator to thump the panel above his right knee with his
fist."

There was a moment of radio silence then the DC3's running lights began to
flash.

"DC3 - clear for take off".

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC