[Mgs] Flat towing

Douglas McKinnie d.mckinnie at usa.net
Wed Dec 15 22:21:22 MST 2010

My MG is presently stored far from hone and I'd like to get it back, and I'm
considering flat-towing it behind the SUV. My wife hates traveling in two
cars, finding it very stressful to stay together, and she worries if we don't
stay together.

I've got the harbor-freight tow-bar, and a chrome front bumper on the GT that
is already quite pitted so I don't feel guilty about adding holes.

The receiver hitch on my soft-roader is 14 inches above the ground, and I'm
wondering how much of a "drop" I need to match the height of my MGB front
bumper, which is of course far away at the moment. Anyone have a handy
chrome-bumper MGB who could tell me the height of the bumper above the
ground?

Any tips on flat-towing? I've pulled a car on a dolly before, but not one
four-wheels down.

Douglas